VMware Integrated OpenStack (VIO) is an OpenStack distribution that is built and tested by VMware. VIO is compliant with the OpenStack Foundation guidelines for an OpenStack distribution and is API-compatible for all OpenStack services running on enterprise level virtual infrastructure.VMware ensures platform stability by rigorous testing and ensuring interoperability. VIO leverages vSphere, NSX, and storage functionality as core of infrastructure. VMware places priority on packing OpenStack core projects in the most stable manner through relentless testing (functional and interoperability).
VMware Integrated OpenStack provides the following key features:
• Fastest deployment with simple installation using an OVA file
• Simplified operations through API and web interface
• Distributed Resource Scheduler (DRS) and Storage DRS for workload rebalancing and datastore load balancing
• vSphere high availability (HA) to protect and automatically restart workloads
• In-house expertise and skillset with existing vSphere technology
• Runs on the proven VMware software-defined data center
• Production-ready container management that is natively integrated by using VMware capabilities.
• Advanced networking functionality through NSX
• Integration with vRealize Operations Manager and vRealize Log Insight for greater performance and capacity management, Alerting and troubleshooting.
• Trusted and single vendor for infrastructure and OpenStack
• Compliant with the OpenStack Foundation’s 2019.11 interoperability guideline
The OpenStack model is comprised of core projects and supplement projects. In addition to the core OpenStack projects, customer can choose supplement projects for additional services and functionality based on their requirements.
VMware Integrated OpenStack Components
VMware Integrated OpenStack (VIO) is made by two main building blocks, first the VIO Manager and second OpenStack components. VIO is packaged as an OVA file that contains the VIO Manager server and an Ubuntu Linux virtual machine to be used as the template for the different OpenStack components.
VMware Integrated OpenStack is designed to run over vSphere and NSX-T Data Center, leveraging existing virtualization functionality to provide security, stability, performance, and reliability.
Plug-in drivers are available in Nova for interaction with vCenter Server and in Neutron to interact with NSX-T Data Center (or vSphere Distributed Switch). Glance and Cinder interact with storage through the vCenter Server system and the OpenStack plug-in driver.
VMware Integrated OpenStack and the VMware SDDC Integration
VMware Integrated OpenStack (VIO) provides full-stack integration with VMware Software-Defined Data Center (SDDC), which provides customer to have one-stop-shop enterprise grade OpenStack solutions.
Stay tuned for VMware Integrated OpenStack (VIO) – PART 3, In Part 3 will discuss more on VMware Integrated OpenStack (VIO) Deployment !!