Auto Deploy allows rapid deployment and configuration of a large number of ESXi hosts. vSphere Auto deploy can be configured with one of the three modes:
- Stateless Caching
- Stateful Install
Stateless :- You Deploy ESXi using Auto Deploy are not installing ESXi onto a Local disk, or a SAN boot LUN. ESXi is directly loaded into memory on a host as it boots.
Stateless Caching :- You deploy ESXi using Auto Deploy just as with Stateless, but the Image is cached on the server’s local disk or SAN boot LUN. In the event that Auto Deploy infrastructure is not available, the hosts boots from a local cache of the Image.
Stateful Install :- You can provision a host with Auto Deploy and set up the host to store the image to disk. On subsequent boots, the host boots from disk. This process is similar to performing a scripted installation. With a scripted installation, the script provisions a host and the host then boots from disk. In this case, Auto Deploy provisions a host and the host then boots from disk.
Auto Deploy Requirements:-
1. vCenter Server 5.5 (Install/Upgrade vCenter Server 5.5)
2. Install Auto Deploy Server 5.5.
3. Install TFTP server (SolarWinds).
4. Configure TFTP Server and Boot Loader Data.
5. Configure DHCP server with 66 and 67 Options.
6. Install VMware PowerCLI 5.5.
7. Download Offline Bundle 5.5 with all other VIBs
8. Create Software Depot / Image Profile / Deploy Rule / Create Host profiles / Update Rules
How to Install Auto Deploy server
You can install vSphere Auto Deploy on the same system as vCenter Server or on a separate Windows based system. If you are installing Auto Deploy on a system separate from vCenter Server, Specify the IP Address or Name of the vCenter Server with which this Auto Deploy server should register.
1. Launch the VMware vCenter Installer media and Select vSphere Auto Deploy and then click Install to start the installer.
9. The Next screen allows to choose how the vSphere Auto Deploy Server will be identified on the network. It Will detect host name on which we are installing Auto Deploy choose default name name Click Next.
Install and Configure TFTP Server
There are so many TFTP server available but i am going to use here Solarwinds TFTP Server.
1. Download the SolarWinds TFTP server Software and Double Click SolarWindsTFTPServer.exe to launch the TFTP installer.
We have Installed TFTP server now Let’s configure TFTP Server.
1. Open the TFTP Server by going Start –> All Programs –> SolarWinds TFTP Server –> TFTP Server.
We have installed and Configured Auto Deploy Server and TFTP Server, Now will Configure DHCP server ( Reservation and Configure Options 66 and 67 )
Configure DHCP Server
1. Open DHCP Server, Right Click on Reservation and choose New Reservation.
So far we have discussed Install and Configure vCenter Server, Auto Deploy Server, TFTP Server and DHCP Scope.
We’ll discuss Download Offline Bundle for ESXi 5.5 with all other VIBs, Install VMware PowerCLI 5.5, and Create Software Depot / Image Profile / Deploy Rule / Create Host profiles / Update Rules with Host Profile in the Deploying VMware ESXi 5.5. with vSphere Auto Deploy 5.5 – Part 2.